Mexican wrestling on show at Ventana 2021 Reimagined
Tuesday 9 February 2021
You can take the boy from Mexico, but you can’t take Mexico from the boy!
Victor Diaz migrated to Australia in his late 20s and brought his passion for the theatre and drama of Mexican wrestling, which he will share at Ventana 2021 Reimagined – Frankston City’s annual celebration of Latin-American, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish cultures.
“Growing up in Mexico, I was exposed to wrestling. Since I was a kid I loved it,” Mr Diaz said.
His Mexican wrestling show features full costumes, including masks and capes, acrobatic action, gripping storytelling with a good versus evil storyline and a dash of comedy.
“It’s the whole combo – the young ones really love the costumes. People get into the show and cheer their favourite or boo the bad guy,” Mr Diaz said.
Enjoy Mexican wrestling featuring the Sin Frontera Mariachi Ensemble, The Lone Mariachi and the Silver Masked Men band, the gracious Mexican dancers and more at Frankston Arts Centre on Sunday, March 7 at 7pm. Tickets $18 with bookings essential. Arrive early to see the dancers in the foyer at 6.30pm.
Ventana 2021 Reimagined features a huge range of fantastic activities and events including music, dance, art exhibitions and online workshops from 9 February to 24 March. The online program includes 16 workshops covering cooking, drinks, craft and dancing from Spain, Latin America and Italy, all with an Australian twist.
Ventana 2021 Reimagined highlights include:
- Music and dance pop ups at various locations in Seaford and Frankston. Keep an eye out for Caribbean and Brazilian sensual dances, acrobatic acts and amazing beats on 27 – 28 February, 12 noon to 2pm.
- Six art exhibitions celebrating Latin cultures at Frankston Arts Centre from 28 January to 8 May. Guided tours and school incursions on request.
- Preschool bilingual storytelling (English – Spanish and English – Portuguese) at Frankston and Carrum Downs Libraries. Come along with the kids for a fun story time and enjoy the beautiful sounds of Spanish and Portuguese languages. Bookings essential.
- Musical Sculptural Tour at McClelland Sculpture Park and Gallery on Thursday, 18 March 6pm – 8pm. Features a tour with musicians interacting through their instruments with the sounds of sculptures and ending with an Italian World music concert. Tickets $25 via McClelland.
- Pan–American Highway – Heritage by Danilo Rojas and the Afro Andean Latin American Jazz Ensemble concert at Frankston Arts Centre on Wednesday 24 March at 7.30pm. Tickets $27 - $45.
Click here for the full program and more information including bookings.