Are you passionate about creative industries? Considering a career in the arts and wanting to explore the possibilities? Would you love to get exclusive access to all the departments and roles behind the scenes at the FAC?
Each year we seek a group of ten passionate and creative young people (aged 16 – 21) to become FAC Citizens. FAC Citizens bring together like-minded young arts lovers to engage with FAC’s Theatre Season and learn from various departments across the venue.
The FAC is committed to engaging with young artists, arts makers and theatre lovers. Being an FAC Citizen is an opportunity to gain learning and insight into the various roles and departments that are involved in an artistic venue like the FAC – including technical operations, marketing, box office, gallery curation, and programming.
As part of the program, students will develop an authentic understanding of the roles and responsibilities of each department and have the opportunity to apply their learnings through a series of real-world activities. Our hope is that the experiences provided will provoke engagement with the arts and inspire future career paths.
If you would like to express an interest in this program and be updated when applications open, please contact Heidi Irvine, Team Leader Programming & Engagement at Heidi.Irvine@frankston.vic.gov.au.
Heidi will also happily answer any questions and queries via email or call 03 9784 1890.
What are the opportunities provided?
- Invitations to four meetings through the course of the year (Nov 2020 to Oct 2021) with various FAC staff to discover more about roles within the Frankston Arts Centre and their career path to this point.
- Opportunity to give feedback on event planning and programming – providing a valuable voice and connection to youth in the Frankston City area.
- Mentorship and advice from a range of local arts professionals. Students will be able to identify areas of interest in particular elements of the arts such as Programming, Marketing, Technical Operations and Gallery Curation with the aim of gaining skills to support their passions and interests. The overall program however, will encompass all facets of the FAC, to ensure students understand the industry overall.
- Where possible, invitations to live performances at the FAC will be given with complimentary tickets to selected performances (subject to venue re-opening and COVIDsafe practices).
- Where possible, invitations to selected events such as Exhibition openings and FAC events (subject to venue re-opening and COVIDsafe practices).
Guidelines & Eligibility
- You must be aged 16 – 21 and living or studying in the Frankston City area.
- You do not currently need to be attending formal school or training as this program is open to all young people.
- You need to show enthusiasm for a career in, or a continuing passion in, the performing arts.
- You need to be committed to attending meetings and events (both virtual and face-to-face) throughout the year. On average, there will be a meeting or opportunity every 4 – 6 weeks (after school hours). Some evening commitments will be required. Weekend commitments will be avoided where possible.
- Please note that this is not an actor-training program. We encourage students who are passionate about acting and aspects of performance such as costume design, set design and creation and direction, to be mindful that the Frankston Arts Centre is not a production house like a traditional theatre company. If you are a passionate actor or director, you are more than welcome to apply, however this program will not look at actor training in any way.
How do I apply?
Complete the application form (available in September each year) along with a written statement (up to 400 words) on why you would like to apply for the program. Your written statement you may like to address or be inspired by the following questions:
- What would you get from being a part of this program?
- What would you like to do as a career in the performing arts?
- What are you most passionate about in the Arts?
- What makes you an artist?
- What do you love about the Arts?
September 2021 - Date to be advised
October 2021 - Date to be advised
FAC CITIZENS FOR 2021 ANNOUNCED:
November 2021 - Date to be advised